In 1972 when FCBM, the national level body was founded, the corrugated packaging industry was still unorganized with a large number of small units scattered across the country. Pioneering efforts by some leading corrugators in their respective regions resulted in the formation of regional associations of corrugated box manufacturers which provided much needed collective strength and synergy.
The success of the national body, gave momentum to other regions to form their own regional associations under the aegis of the national body. As a result within a few years time the present structure with regional associations representing the local areas and federated under a national body, evolved. The regional chapters today cover the length and breadth of India, and have over the years derived strength from their collective union and simultaneously given it strength.
FCBM as the national body, took up the role of representing the Industry to the Central Government and also became a common ground for interaction of the various constituents of the Federation while the regional associations have their own agenda. This two tier structure has not diluted the role of the regional associations but in fact strengthened them by allowing them to focus on regional issues with the confidence that their national level interests were taken care of.
Activities of the Regional Bodies
The Regional Associations perform the following functions in their respective areas:
- Training and education programmes to ensure improvement and up-gradation in technical skills.
- Setting up testing laboratories equipped with sophisticated equipments, which aim to increase standardization across the industry and thus improve quality.
- Organize packaging exhibitions, which are ideal platforms for display and demonstration of designs and technology in the industry.
- Maintaining information on the corrugated packaging industry in their region.
- Providing growth and feedback opportunities by organizing buyer-seller meets.
- Participating in National and International conferences, exhibitions, seminars through FCBM and benefiting from the mutual exchange of views and information on the latest trends in corrugation technology.
- Maintaining close interaction with Kraft paper mills and machinery manufacturers, and others to upgrade the technology.
- Complementing FCBM in running various cells concerning R&D, market development, encroachment etc.
- Providing services like software development, information on the international packaging calendar, new happenings in India and abroad, etc.